So far through my entire college career I finally feel like my experience is becoming worth it…it only took 3 years.
For the first time, I’m loving every second of this semester… sure I’ve had classes that I’ve enjoyed before and other semesters that have been better than others, but this one stands out. Could it be because I’m taking all art classes and Italian 1? Yes, I believe so.
I’ve savored every second of learning about the intaglio printmaking process which entails a ton of work for one design. I don’t think I’ve ever put so much meaning and thought into a piece before and I probably still wouldn’t have if my professor did not decide to leave the concept of the assignments open and up to us. There has always been an endless list of “do this” “do that” “make sure this is included” etc. but for once, not now.
Painting has opened my mind in a whole new way. Yes, we have technical assignments focused on value, color, space, etc. but my professor balances this with classes where we just paint with pieces of cardboard interpretively; this I have found to be the most helpful and the most conceptually challenging. I love it.
Photography has also been just as satisfying. With very few guidelines to our projects, the subjects and concepts are up to us. Photographing a 70-yr.-old toolbox that my grandfather, whom I have never met, owned, has been unexpectedly thrilling. I became so pleased with the material and the prints that it became about much more than just chards of rusted metal.
And last but not least, Italian has proven to be challenging and fast-paced. Thankfully, there are several Spanish and French cognates which have been helpful, and I’m getting quicker at picking up the language. I still actually enjoy it, maybe because I know in my heart I will actually use this language in its original country.
I’m excited to produce more and more work as the days get shorter and the temperatures get lower. I’ve finally found the sense of feeling freed.
Painting has opened my mind in a whole new way. Yes, we have technical assignments focused on value, color, space, etc. but my professor balances this with classes where we just paint with pieces of cardboard interpretively; this I have found to be the most helpful and the most conceptually challenging. I love it.
Photography has also been just as satisfying. With very few guidelines to our projects, the subjects and concepts are up to us. Photographing a 70-yr.-old toolbox that my grandfather, whom I have never met, owned, has been unexpectedly thrilling. I became so pleased with the material and the prints that it became about much more than just chards of rusted metal.
And last but not least, Italian has proven to be challenging and fast-paced. Thankfully, there are several Spanish and French cognates which have been helpful, and I’m getting quicker at picking up the language. I still actually enjoy it, maybe because I know in my heart I will actually use this language in its original country.
I’m excited to produce more and more work as the days get shorter and the temperatures get lower. I’ve finally found the sense of feeling freed.
No comments:
Post a Comment